Hunan – Style Pork
- 1/2 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons cornstarch – divided use
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce – divided use
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil – divided use
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh ginger root
- 1 onion, chunked and separated
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Coat pork strips with mixture of 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and soy sauce, sugar and garlic. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 4 teaspoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons soy sauce with red pepper flakes and 1 1/4 cups water.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size flowerets and stems into thin slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in hot wok or large skillet over high heat. Add pork and stir-fry 2 minutes; remove.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pan. Add ginger, stir-fry 30 seconds. Add onion and broccoli; stir-fry 4 minutes.
- Stir in pork, tomatoes and soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Makes 6 servings.