- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 tablespoon minced galangal root
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 28 oz can whole, peeled canned tomatoes
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
- 4 tablespoons sriracha, or to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, to cook and drizzle
- In a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot coated lightly with olive oil over medium heat, combine garlic, ginger, galangal and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sweat mixture until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (crushing each by hand), tomato juice and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes have cooked and are falling apart, about 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and using a hand immersion blender, puree the soup until almost smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Add fish sauce, cilantro, lime juice, sriracha and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Blend again. Keep warm.
- Serve immediately in warmed soup bowls. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
As seen on the television show Simply Ming