- 2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 – 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine white and brown sugars, buttermilk, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until completely blended.
- Add flour mixture, carrots, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut, stirring until well blended.
- Grease 3 – 8 inch round cake pans lined with parchment or waxed paper; grease and flour paper. Pour batter into cake pans.
- Bake at 350⁰ F. for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; loosen layers from edges of pans with a sharp knife and invert onto wire racks. Remove paper and cool completely.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before cutting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 ounces powdered sugar
- In a bowl using a mixer combine the cream cheese and butter until well blended. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Add powdered sugar in 4 batches and beat until smooth between each addition.
- Place the frosting in refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes before using.