- 1 – 28 ounce can Italian tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or molasses
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Kosher or Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5-6 Portobello mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb. chopped spinach – fresh or frozen, thawed
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher or Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 rounded tablespoons golden raisins
- ½ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 cup jarred red and yellow roasted peppers, drained, chopped
- 1 lb. skim ricotta
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 to 6 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of fresh salted water to a rolling boil and place the noodles in the pot. Cook per package directions to al dente. Drain well and separate. Do not overcook as noodles will continue to cook when baked in the lasagna.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic; cook for one minute. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry gently for five to seven minutes. Reserve eight slices of the lightly cooked mushrooms and set aside for the topping.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and toss lightly; add the spinach and stir to cook for a minute or two. Season with nutmeg, sea salt and pepper and red chili flakes. Add the raisins, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted peppers and stir to combine. Simmer gently until the excess liquid reduces and evaporates. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a large lasagna dish and spread evenly. Lay three noodles flat in the bottom of the pan. Spoon the cheese mixture onto the noodles and spread evenly. Add additional shredded cheese if you need it. Top with three or four noodles. Press gently to flatten. Cover with the sauce and allow it to seep in and around the edges. Top with the set aside Portobello mushrooms. Cover entire lasagna with shredded mozzarella cheese. Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the noodles are fork tender and the filing is hot in the center. Allow the lasagna to rest for five minutes before slicing and serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings