- 1 ½ lbs. panfish (Crappies, Bluegills, Sunfish etc.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- Canola or vegetable oil (enough to fill large heavy skillet 1 ½ inch deep)
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, the lemon peel, salt and pepper. Blend in water; cover. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ inches oil to a deep heavy skillet, heat to 375⁰ F.
- Add 2nd cup of flour to a plate and coat fish, then dip in chilled batter.
- Fry a few pieces at a time, turning occasionally, until light golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes. We use the Good Grips Fish Turner Click Here
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in 175⁰ F. oven while frying remaining fish.