- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Baking Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, salt and egg and 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 12×8-in. rectangle. Cut into 3×1-in. rectangles.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 400°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Dip tops in glaze while warm.
Makes 2-1/2 dozen.