- ¾ ounce sweet vermouth
- 2 ½ ounce bourbon whiskey
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1 twist orange peel
- Combine the vermouth, bourbon whiskey, and bitters with 2 – 3 ice cubes in a mixing glass.
- Stir gently, don’t bruise the spirits and cloud the drink.
- Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey mixture over the cherry.
- Rub the cut edge of the orange peel over the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink to release the oils but don’t drop it in.VARIATION: No bitters. Substitute a twist of lime for the cherry and orange. Hold the lime twist over a lighted match over the drink and then drop it in. The heat really zips up the lime flavor.