- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 lbs. fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup slivered fresh basil or minced parsley
- ¾ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large nonstick saucepan, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a full boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes; uncover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Discard the bay leaf.
Makes 8 cups, enough for 2 lbs. cooked pasta.
May be frozen up to 3 months