- 1½ lbs. lean ground beef
- 1¼ to 1½ lbs. mild Italian pork sausage (if using link remove from casings)
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- ½ lb. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 – 1 lb. 12 oz. can tomatoes or Italian style tomatoes including liquid
- 1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
- In a 5 or 6 quart pot, crumple ground beef, Italian sausage, green pepper, onion and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes including liquid and tomato paste.
- Cook rapidly, uncovered, until sauce is very thick (about 45 minutes), stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let stand undisturbed for 5 to 10 minutes, then skim and discard fat.
- Use sauce hot or cold.
Cover and refrigerate up to 4 days, freeze for longer storage.