This recipe was sent to us from Susan Logan. We are told that this recipe comes from Chef Michael Smith. To find his other recipes go to www.chefmichaelsmith.com
Mediterranean Mussel Pasta
- 1 box of your favorite pasta
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 4 to 6 cloves of thinly sliced garlic
- 1 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 cup or so of pitted calamata black olives
- 2 to 3 pounds of mussels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then cook the pasta until tender but still chewy.
- Make the sauce in a separate pot. Splash the olive oil into a large saucepot over medium high heat.
- Toss in the onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes until aromatic.
- Add the juice from the can of tomatoes then mash the tomatoes in the can with a fork. Add the tomatoes to the sauce.
- Stir in the oregano and olives and bring the works to a full boil. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Rinse the mussels in lots of cold clear water. Drain for a moment then add to the simmering sauce.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and continue cooking until the mussels open, cook through and release their flavorful broth.
- Discard the shells and any unopened mussels.
- Taste then season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked pasta