Preparation time: About 15 minutes
Cooking Time: About 35 to 40 minutes
- 4 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 Anaheim chilies, steamed, seeded, and chopped; or 1 small can (4oz) diced green chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- 4 cups regular strength chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves chopped
- Heat oil and butter in a 4 to 6 quart pan over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, when melted, add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add onion, garlic, and chilies; continue to cook, stirring, for 5 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (25 to 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Makes 6 servings.
For variety you can add shrimp, steak, or chicken.