Makes 4 sandwiches
For the sandwich
- 8 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces roasted turkey, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
For the batter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup low-fat (1% milkfat) milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For each sandwich, spread 1 side of 2 slices of bread with ½ teaspoon of mustard each. Top 1 slice with ¼ each of the turkey and cheese then cover with the second slice, mustard-side-down, pressing down gently to close. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together all of the batter ingredients.
- In a heavy skillet, melt the butter over moderately high heat. Dip each sandwich in the batter, turning it and allowing the batter to be absorbed.
- Cook the sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.