- 1 3/4 cup +2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup +2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light Brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 pound bittersweet chocolate discs or chips, at least 60% cacao content
- Sea salt, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and coarse salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat butter until creamy, about one minute.
- Add granulated sugar and Brown sugar and beat until light and creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix until just Incorporated.
- Using a spatula, carefully stir in chocolate pieces, incorporating them without breaking them.
- Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. (dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into generous golf ball sized mounds (about 2 tablespoons) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle cookies lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool a bit more. We use Surpahs 3 Tier Stainless Steel Cooling Racks Click Here
To safely handle hot pans we use KitchenReady Oven Gloves Click Here