Northern Italian Casserole
- 2 cups northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (6 ounce.) can tomato paste
- 2 cup bean liquid
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Cover with water and cook till barely tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Pour beans into 2 quart casserole.
- Lightly brown sliced sausage in oil. Add in onions, garlic, and celery. Cook till tender.
- Add in seasoning tomato paste, 2 cups bean liquid and salt.
- Pour over beans and stir carefully.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Add in more liquid if necessary.
- Sprinkle with cheese and brown lightly.