- 2 cups coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400⁰ F.
- Grease an 8” round or square baking pan or you can use a cup cake pan lined with cup cake papers
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, salt, baking soda and baking powder, whisk until completely blended and set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the egg, butter, buttermilk and honey and whisk until completely blended.
- Create a cavity in the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients. Mix slowly until wet and dry ingredients have just combined. (The mixture will be thin).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Place in the 400⁰ F. preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top, golden brown around the edges.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the cornbread, if it comes out clean the cornbread is done and should be removed from the oven and allowed to cool.