- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan meats (optional)
- 8 slices canned drained pineapple
- 15 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325⁰
- In a 9” iron skillet melt ¼ cup butter. Add 1 cup brown sugar cooking gently and stir until dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and add 1 cup pecan meats (optional). Place 8 slices canned pineapple on the bottom of the skillet. (Do not use juice from the canned pineapple.
- Place maraschino cherry in center of and between each pineapple.
- In a separate bowl combine 1 cup flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder and set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat 4 egg yolks, add 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whip 4 egg whites and ¼ teaspoon salt until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into whipped egg whites 1 cup sugar (1 tablespoon at a time). Fold in the yolk mixture, then fold in the flour and baking powder mixture (¼ cup at a time).
- Cover the pineapple rings and pecan meats with the batter.
- Bake cake in 325⁰ oven for about ½ hour. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool. Remove cake by inverting pan and dropping cake onto a plate serving cake upside down.
- When done fruit may be sprinkled with brandy or rum.
The cake can be served plain or with whipped cream.
Other fruit may be substituted. Canned peaches or apricots call for only ½ cup of sugar.