- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (or brandy extract)
- 9 eggs, slightly beaten
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or lemon)
- Berry Layer
- 4 -8 cups fresh raspberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- fresh berries
- Line bottoms & sides of three 8×4 loaf pans with parchment paper–do NOT grease; preheat oven to 325; place oven rack in lower position.
- In a large bowl, mix pound cake dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy & fluffy, scraping bowl several times; add flavorings, then eggs three at a time–continue beating (a curdled appearance will be “beaten” out with thorough mixing).
- Now begin adding the flour in about half-cup portions, mixing well after each.
- Turn batter into prepped pans, quickly pushing it higher around edges than in center (this will keep the top level).
- Bake for 20 minutes, then increase oven temp to 350, bake 40 minutes longer (crack on top will be slightly browned–showing no moistness).
- Cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pans to finish cooling–DO NOT REMOVE PAPER!
- When cooled, wrap waxed paper around two of the loaves, and then plastic wrap & freeze. Slice the remaining loaf into 12-15 slices, then cubes; set aside.
WHIPPED CREAM LAYER:
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream with sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla and sugar. Add about 2 cups of the whipped cream and the lemon zest–fold in; set aside.
- Set aside one cup of berries for garnish. Sprinkle remaining berries with sugar, then lightly mash/crush them. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to get juicy—if you’re short of time, add the water and this makes a nice juice too.
ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE:
- Sprinkle a layer of pound cake cubes in the bottom of a 3-quart glass serving bowl.
- Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of berry juice over the cubes.
- Spread one fourth of cream cheese mixture over the cake cubes.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of cocoa over this, then some crushed berries.
- Repeat this twice. Add about half of the reserved berries to the last layer.
- Top with remaining cream cheese, whipped cream and sifted cocoa; remaining berries added as a garnish before serving.
Cover & refrigerate for about 3 hours, although this is ready-to-eat now (taste really does improve!).