- 4 egg whites
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1 packed tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- Dash of salt
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 1clove garlic, pressed
- A little grated or minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
For the chicken:
- Cut chicken into bite sized chunks.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornstarch and egg whites until almost frothy about 1 minute. Add the chicken to the mixture and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
For the sauce :
- Meanwhile put the orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, crushed red pepper, garlic, and ginger in a skillet and whisk. Heat till bubbling and starting to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and ¼ cup of water in a small bowl add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry to the sauce. Mix in and thicken for 1 minute.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven until a deep fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 350⁰ F. Carefully drop the chicken into the oil 1 piece at a time and move it around, flipping it gently, until golden brown 3 to 4 minutes. . Let the pieces drain on a plate lined with paper towels for 2 to 3 minutes. Then drop them back in the oil for 1 minute to really solidify the coating.
- Toss the chicken in the sauce and serve