- 1 lb. fish fillets.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup oil
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
Depending which coating you decide on flour, cornmeal or saltine crackers. Amounts needed are listed below.
- Flour-cornmeal: ½ cup each flour and cornmeal, 1 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- Cracker: 1 cup finely crushed saltines, 1/8th tsp. pepper.
- Flour: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1/8th tsp. pepper.
- Dry fillets on a paper towel then dust each lightly with flour.
- Dip each fillet in beaten egg.
- Coat the fillets with one of the above coating mixtures (your choice).
- In a large skillet heat ½ cup butter and ½ cup oil until hot. (325⁰ – 350⁰).
- Shortening should be about ¼ inch deep.
- Fry fish in hot shortening over medium heat till brown on both sides, turning once. We use the Good Grips Fish Turner Click Here
Serve with either tartar or cocktail sauce and your favorite potato, baked works very well.