- 2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and chopped. Braeburn and Gala would be a good mix of apples.
- 2 lbs. pears, peeled, cored and chopped. Choose any variety of pear.
- 3 – 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the fruit is soft and breaking apart, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Use a potato masher or pastry cutter to mash the fruit to your desired consistency. An immersion blender works well if you prefer a very smooth sauce.