- 1 cup tapioca starch flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup potato starch flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup gluten free millet flour or purchase gluten free premixed flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups warm water, between 110⁰ and 115⁰ F.
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar – for proofing the yeast
- 1 packet – ¼ ounce – active dry yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup beaten egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon light rice vinegar
- Grease two 12 inch pizza pans and dust lightly with gluten free corn meat or rice flour. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten free flours and other dry ingredients.
- Proof the yeast in 1 cup warm water with a pinch a light brown sugar
- Add the proofed yeast and water to the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil, eggs and vinegar. Beat the dough until smooth and sticky. Add the remaining ¼ cup water if you need to. The dough should be creamy smooth and not too thick – it’s not sturdy like typical bread dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Scoop each half onto the center of the prepared pizza pans.
- Using clean, wet hands press and flatten the dough to create a thin, even pizza shell, with slightly raised edges. Rinse your hands as often as needed and keep palms wet to smooth out the dough.
- Set the pizza dough in a warm spot to rest and rise, about 15 minutes.
- While the dough is resting preheat the oven to 400⁰ f.
- After allowing the dough to rise and the oven to reach 400⁰ place the two pizza pans side by side on the center rack (if oven is not large enough for both pans on one rack, place one of the pans on a second rack; rotating the pans half way through the baking time.
- Bake for 10 minutes till golden. Remove from oven.
Build your pizza
Preheat the broiler. Brush the pizza shell with olive oil. Season with sea salt and fresh garlic. Sprinkle with Italian herbs. Top with your choice of sauce, fresh vegetables, shredded cheese, and herbs. Broil briefly to melt cheese, 4 to 5 minutes.
Makes 2 medium thick 12 inch pizzas