Portuguese Bean Soup
- 2 pound Portuguese sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound ham hock
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 2 can (15 oz. size) red kidney beans, including liquid
- Put sausage, ham hock, and onion into a large sauce pot, add water.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove meat from ham hock, returning meat back into soup.
- Add carrots, potatoes, cabbage, celery, and tomato sauce.
- Cover and continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans, including liquid, and cook a few more minutes, adding more water if necessary.