- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Makes 10 servings.