- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (12 ounce) store-bought pound cake, cut into ¾ inch thick slices
- 1 bar (8 ounce) reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups (three ½ pint containers) fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 3 cups (two 6 ounce containers fresh raspberries
We used the Anchor Hocking Presence Footless Trifle Bowl which comes with a white plastic lid
- Make a lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and ¼ cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool completely, then brush over both sides of cake slices. Quarter each slice.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with remaining ⅓ cup sugar on high speed until lightened. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add heavy cream in a steady stream; continue beating until mixture is light and airy (mixture will be like a very soft whipped cream).
- Arrange half the cake pieces in the bottom of a Trifle bowl. Spoon half the cream cheese mixture over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Scatter half the blueberries and raspberries on top. Repeat layering with remaining cake, cream – cheese mixture, and berries, piling berries in the center.
- Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Note: You can interchange strawberries for raspberries