- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart clam broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb. minced clams
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- In a Dutch oven or heavy stock pot, melt the butter in the oil over low-medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the diced potato, then pour in the clam broth and thyme leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is soft when pierced with a knife.
- Using a wooden spoon, smash some of the potato against the side of the pot, and stir into the broth to thicken it slightly.
- Add the clams with any juice, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.