- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg, medium size, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, or
- 1 cup milk including 1 tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup nuts, your choice of type
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or *frozen rhubarb, chopped
FOR THE TOPPING (Optional)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and the egg, until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with the flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the rhubarb and the nuts.
- Turn into 2, greased, medium size loaf pans (approx. 9″ x 5″ x 3″).
- Mix the topping ingredients together, and sprinkle on top of each loaf.
- Bake at 350° F for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on rack before slicing.