- 1 ½ lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 ½ lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 rosemary sprigs, plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary. (For a quick and easy change follow the recipe but substitute the rosemary for any sturdy herb, such as oregano, sage, marjoram or thyme.)
- Kosher or Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes and rosemary sprigs.
- Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary sprigs. Drain the potatoes, reserving ¾ cup of the cooking water.
- Reduce the heat to low. Return the potatoes to the pot and toss 1 to 2 minutes to thoroughly dry.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary and 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium, swirling the skillet occasionally, until the rosemary is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Stir in the remaining ½ cup EVOO and enough reserved cooking water to make the mixture smooth. Mix in the lemon zest; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Drizzle with the reserved rosemary oil.