- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cocktail vegetable juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1/4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, cut up with juice (undrained)
- 10 ounces okra, chopped¹
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. medium shrimp, deveined and shelled²
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder (ground Sassafras leaves)
- Hot pepper sauce, if desired We use The Pepper Plant Hot Pepper Sauce Click Here
- In a large heavy skillet, combine flour and oil.
- Cook over medium heat 25 to 35 minutes or until dark reddish-brown roux is formed; stir frequently first 15 minutes and stir constantly last 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat: immediately stir in onions, green pepper, celery and garlic until roux stops browning. Return to heat; cook over low heat 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Transfer mixture to 5-quart Dutch oven.
- Slowly add chicken broth and vegetables juice, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in shrimp and chicken. Simmer uncovered an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are light pink.
- Place 1/2 cup rice in center of soup bowl.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups gumbo around rice.
- Garnish as desired.
- Pass hot pepper sauce to be added to individual servings as desired
Makes 8 – 1 1/2 cup servings.
¹ 10 oz. package frozen cut okra can be substituted for fresh okra
² Two 12 oz. bags frozen medium shrimp, cooked, drained can be substituted for fresh shrimp