- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package spaghetti Pasta
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Remove casings from sausage, and discard.
- Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat 6 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles.
- Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes or until beef and sausage are no longer pink.
- Drain and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Combine sauce and next 7 ingredients in skillet or Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Add sausage mixture and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Serve over spaghetti pasta; sprinkle with cheese.
Serve with breadsticks, if desired.