- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dry onion soup mix (1 package)
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce, of your choice
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1⁄4 cup cracker
- 8 slices cheese (optional)
- Crumble beef in a large mixing bowl.
- Add dried onion soup mix, garlic, barbecue sauce, egg and dry bread crumbs and combine gently but thoroughly.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 equal-sized balls.
- With moistened hands, gently press meat balls into 3/4 inch thick patties, shaping the edges to keep the patties round.
- Using the handle of a wooden mixing spoon, make a hole in the center of the Pattie. Make sure that the hole is completely through the pattie.
- Preheat barbecue to High heat (400 F).
- Lightly oil the grill with a vegetable oil.
- Place patties on grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, then turn over and cook for 3 minutes.
- Place 1 slice of cheese on each pattie, making a 1 inch square hole in the center of the cheese to expose the hole in the pattie, and continue to cook until the hole in the pattie closes completely.
- You may also test for doneness by inserting a thermometer sideways into the center of the pattie and it should read 160°F.
- Serve on lightly toasted bun of your choice.
Lightly spread some butter on each side of the bun, then spread some mayo. Slice some onions and tomatoes and layer on the burger pattie. If desired add some lettuce, hamburger relish and mustard.
This recipe makes 8 – 1/4 pound patties.