- 1 large vine ripened tomato
- 1 cup salted tomato juice
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cream, optional
- Prepare grill or smoker according to instructions for smoking small quantities. Smoke tomato (over indirect heat using grill) until somewhat dark and shriveled. This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the method.
- Or roast tomato in the oven: cut tomato in half horizontally, place cut side up on a baking pan and roast at 450°F for 20 minutes. The flavor won’t be as smoky, but it’s still good.
- Purée roasted tomato with tomato juice, and strain. Transfer to a small saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Don’t boil, or the butter will break down and separate. Whisk in cream and serve immediately
Makes about 1 cup
This recipe is easily doubled and makes a great gift when packed in 4 oz. jelly jars