- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits, not instant (We suggest Quaker)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat.
- Stir in butter.
Serve with additional butter on top of each portion, or serve with fruit or with a savory meal.