Makes 8 – 1 ½ cup severing
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb. dried split peas (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 2 – lb. smokes ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- In a stock pot ad water and split peas and bring to a boil and hold the boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour stir in ham, onion, salt and pepper into peas. Return to heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 hour. Skim fat if necessary.
- Remove ham; trim fat and bone from ham. Cut ham into ½ inch pieces (about 4 cups). Stir ham, carrots and celery into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.