- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, softened butter, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar¹. Cover with a dish towel and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Heat oven to 375⁰. Divide dough into halves. ²Roll each half ⅛ to ¼ inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board.
- Use St. Patrick’s cookie cutters to cut into your favorite St. Patrick’s Day shapes.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown, 7 to 8 minutes.Remove from oven, allow to cool.
- After cooling frost and decorate with your favorite sprinkles.
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Favorite colors – Food Coloring
- Mix powdered sugar and milk stirring rapidly until silky. (If necessary very slowly add extra milk). Add food coloring one drop at a time until desired color is achieved.
Add food coloring to the dough if you wish to have colored cookies, ad drops carefully one by one until desired color is reached. Color changes occur quickly so ad drops slowly. Wear gloves when handling dough if you don’t want your hands to match your cookies.
The thinner you roll the dough, the crisper the cookies.