- 3 Tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) rib-eye steaks
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- ¼ cup Cognac
- ¾ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup, undiluted canned beef broth, divided
- 3 ½ Tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 ½ Tablespoons butter
- Press cracked pepper into both sides of each steak. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons butter and oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook steaks 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove steaks from skillet, cover, and keep warm.
- Sauté shallots in skillet over medium heat until tender.
- Wipe out excess oil from skillet with paper towels.
- Pour cognac into skillet, and ignite, using a long match.
- After flames die, dissolve cornstarch in 2 Tablespoons beef broth, and add Cognac with remaining beef broth, stirring until thickened. Stir in cream. Add 1 ½ tablespoons butter, and swirl to blend.
- Serve over steaks.
Serve with a fresh green salad and crusty bread