- 3 1/2 ounces large pearl tapioca, approximately 1/2 cup We use Reese Large Pearl Tapioca Click Here
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- Pinch salt
- Place tapioca in a medium mixing bowl along with the water, cover, and let stand overnight.
- Drain water from tapioca.
- Place the tapioca into a slow cooker along with the milk, heavy cream, and salt. Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and sugar.
- Temper small amounts of the tapioca into the egg mixture until you have added at least 1 cup. Then add this back into the remaining tapioca in the slow cooker.
- Add the lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring at least once. Transfer the pudding to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. (This will help to prevent skin forming on pudding)
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 1 hour and then place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled
When ready to serve spoon pudding into individual cups. We use Pyrex Bakeware Clear 6 ounce Custard Cups Click Here
Makes 4 servings