- 5 California chiles
- 5 guajillo chiles
- 5 pasilla chiles
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- Stewed Tomatoes:
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 pound ground beef top round
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, diced
For the chile sauce:
- Cover the California chiles, guajillo chiles and pasilla chiles with water in a medium saucepan and soak for 2 hours.
- Add the garlic and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Blend small batches at a time in blender, adding some fresh oregano each time.
- Strain through a medium-mesh strainer.
For the stewed tomatoes:
- Simmer the heirloom tomatoes whole in a large uncovered pot over medium heat until they are broken down and have released some of their liquid, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then puree with an immersion blender.
For the chili spices:
- Combine the oatmeal, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Set aside.
For the chili:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Mix together the chuck, top round, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven. Cook in the oven, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- Add the chili spices to the ground beef mixture and cook 20 minutes more. Add the stewed tomatoes and chile sauce.
- Cook until an instant-read thermometer register 160 degrees F, about 1 hour.