In India, it is said that all foods are either heat-giving or cooling. In Northern India you will find the drink “Thandai”. It is a drink made especially for the hot, dry summers, when blowing winds leave everything and everybody parched. This thirst-quencher is tasty and cooling and a perfect drink for our “dog days of summer” which are just getting started.
- 1 liter milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 30 almonds blanched
- 6 tsps. whole pumpkin/sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tsps. rose water (optional)
- Crushed ice
- Rose petals to garnish
- Grind the almonds, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, cardamom powder and rose water into a fine paste in a food processor.
- Add the milk, condensed milk and crushed ice to the paste and blend well.
- Strain the drink through a fine sieve or muslin and serve in glasses, garnished with rose petals.
Makes 6 glasses.