Makes 4 sandwiches
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced pimiento
- 1 tablespoon minced green pepper
For the Sandwich
- 8 slices pumpernickel or dark rye bread
- 10 ounces lean corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 325⁰ F.
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, stir all of the dressing ingredients until well blended.
To make the sandwich:
- On a slice of bread, layer ⅛ of the corned beef, 3 tablespoons of the cheese, ¼ cup of the sauerkraut, 3 tablespoons of the dressing, ⅛ more of the corned beef, and 3 more tablespoons of the cheese; top with a second slice of bread.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over moderate heat. Place 2 of the sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 8 minutes on each side or until heated through and the cheese has melted.
- Transfer to an oven-proof platter and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining tablespoon of butter and the other 2 sandwiches.