Tuscan Pork with Fennel
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 (4 – 5 pounds) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken base/demi-glace
- 2 pounds red potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped Tuscan pork with fennel
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seeds, Rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cut boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt) into 4 equal pieces. Season with rub mixture.
- In a 6 – 7 quart slow cooker bowl, whisk together chicken broth, base/demi-glace and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; add potatoes, fennel, and garlic. Place meat on top of the vegetables in slow cooker bowl.
- Cover and cook 7 hours on high or 10 hours on low, or until very tender. Transfer meat to cutting board. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid.
- Slice pork and serve with vegetables. Drizzle with cooking liquid. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds, if desired