- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for at least 1 – 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In the same pan, sauté chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Sauté onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the carrots, celery and garlic; sauté 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, pepper, beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 3/4 – 2 1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in parsley and remaining salt.
Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container up to 3 months.
Makes 1 3/4 quarts