Zabaglione (Frothy Egg Pudding)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cups sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cups dry Marsala wine
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of your favorite fresh berries such as blueberries, raspberries or strawberries. (Optional)
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler (or a saucepan with a metal bowl fitted snuggly on top) with 1 to 2 inches water or just below bowl. Do not let water touch bottom of bowl. Bring water to a simmer.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and a drop of vanilla extract in top of double boiler or bowl with an electric mixer or wire whisk until fluffy and light in color, about 5 minutes.
- Maintain water at a low simmer while beating.
- Add Marsala 1 tablespoon at a time, continuously beating until mixture forms very soft peaks, about 8 minutes. Serve immediately
Makes 4 servings
Serve as a dessert by itself or over fresh berries.
For a fancier service present in a stemmed drink glass.
Can also be used as a sauce over cheese cake, ice cream or other baked desserts.